Wednesday, July 21, 2010

In Which I Have an Amazing Lunch

Monday was a day off. We slept until 2pm, had lunch and napped some more. I ventured to Ikea (new pillow=no more neck problems!) and we all wandered around the city at night. All in all, a nice day off.

Yesterday was a work day. And possibly THE BEST work day I have ever had in my life. Possibly.

The Biz Partner and I had a lunch meeting with the company owners and the trainer from last week. His wife joined us. Intially, I was under the impression we were dining at the hotel. Not a bad thing, but we had been eating there all week and I was a little bored with it. Not to mention that I knew the whole lunch would be a working lunch, I was just going through the motions.

But boy was I wrong. Let me be straight with you, I did not take pictures of this lunch. So you will kind of have to follow my memory and put on your imagination cap (which in my mind looks like a metal collandar with feet on it)

First of all, we walk in a house to find the Chef sitting at the bar, located on the immediate right. Not at the bar, pounding back vodka (like a Chef I once worked with), but at the bar writing the menu and reading the newspaper. As soon as we walked in, he stood to personally greet my two bosses by name. Oh man, here we go.

You know that the second you cross the line from a paying customer to a friend of the restaurant, all bets are off. We were swiftly escorted upstairs and into a private room. Large circular table, white table cloth, our own personal airconditioner (which in Sevilla is a fucking miracle)

Moss-green wall paper with silver leaves hand-painted. Ornate white fixtures housing bowls of bright green capers dancing along the walls. Doors and molding that we vintage wood with scratched off white paint. I mean, come on. Attention to detail? Check.

Chef Mc Hottie came in to tell us the specials. Lucky for me, it was a coursed menu, pre-planned. The only word I understood was "ensalada" (salad), so everything else was a surprise.

I won't go into the specific details of each dish (mainly because there were 10 of them and if I try to describe them, I would be doing a diservice to this man's beautiful work). Highlights included Foie, Bacalao, an incredible stir fry/sauteed octopus dish and a lemon sorbet served in champagne glasses with a straw. Not to mention an expertly selected bottle of Rioja. I could literally only handle 1 glass.

I think the reason this was such a spectacular meal was the company, the food and the fact that we are in Spain. Every so often someone on my team will say- "Yo, we're in Spain!".

Off to Masagon for the next few days. I promise more photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment